“Your task is not to seek love but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it” Rumi
Is couple work different?
When couples ask for therapy, they usually want to understand themselves and their partner better. In addition, a very important part of this kind of therapy will be for the couple, with the help of the counsellor, to look in detail at the interaction between them so that it can be understood and changed in a positive way.
Couple’s/family therapy is about:
- Having a safe space for exploring your problems;
- Working on self not trying to change the other;
- Finding out where you’re at in relation to each other
- Each person having a chance to be heard;
- Each person having the right to disagree or share dissapointment but in a respectful manner;
- Trying to understand self and other;
- Informing each other;
- Correcting misunderstandings;
- Contracting (or re-contracting) to live together in a way that allows and respects each individual.